|Second Dose Of Measles Vaccination Introduced|
|Wednesday, 22 February 2012 14:55|
Ghana has introduced a second dose of measles vaccination for children to ensure a total eradication of measles nationwide.Under the second dose programme, children from 18 months to 30 months would be required to have a second immunization at all Reproductive and Child Health Centres (RCH) across the country as a normal routine of child welfare. Dr George Bonsu, the Eastern Regional Deputy Director of Health Services, told the GNA that the second dose was to reach children who missed the first dose at age nine months to ensure a high level of population immunity against measles.
He said the introduction of the second dose was not because the first immunization of children was not effective but it is a means to get a fully 'immune population of children' against the disease.
Dr Bonsu said it was estimated that the first dose, which was given to all children at age nine months, would protect about 85 percent of children and so the second dose would booster the remaining 15 percent who were either not immunized or could not be effective.
He said the Regional Health Directorate had trained district teams to apply the vaccines for a smooth immunization and appealed to mothers to send their children for routine weighing to enable them have the vaccines.