Hon. Nii Amasah Namaole, Dep. Minister for Food and Agric. formally handing over an outboard motor to Nana Efirimu IV, Chief Fisherman, Shama
Government has presented the first batch of fifty (50) subsidized 40HP Yamaha Outboard motors to fishermen in the Western Region.
The fifty is part of a total consignment of 800 outboard motors imported by the Agricultural Development Bank into the country as part of an incentive package for fishermen for the 2012 fishing season.
Presenting the Outboard Motors, Hon. Kwesi Ahwoi, Minister for Food and Agriculture, said the presentation was in fulfillment of government’s commitment to developing Ghana’s fishing sector and that, the outboard motors were one of the many incentive packages outlined for the fishermen.
According to the Minister, “the price of the same outboard motor on the open market is about GH¢7,500 but government was selling it to the fishermen at GH¢4,900.00 representing a subsidy of 30%”.
Hon. Kwesi Ahwoi, added that, the formal and open presentation of the Outboard motors to the beneficiary fishermen was an indication of government’s determination to bring transparency and effectiveness in the distribution of resources in the sector.
He said, the selection of the beneficiaries was determined by the various Landing Beach Committees (LBCs) in consultation with the Chief Fishermen. He indicated that, each beneficiary made a down payment of 70% of the unit cost whilst government paid the remaining 30%.
According to Hon. Kwesi Ahwoi, “the first batch of 50, is part of a total of 160 Outboard Motors allocated for the Western Region”.
He further added that, fishermen in Greater Accra, Volta and Central Regions and those doing Inland Fishing would also be formally presented with theirs.
The Minister for Food and Agriculture further indicated that government, through MASLOC had also imported 800 outboard motors and other fishing gears which would also be distributed to fishermen.
The Western Regional Minister, Hon. Paul Evans Aidoo, on his part, entreated Fishermen who were yet to receive theirs to exercise restraint because they would certainly receive them. He charged them to consult their respective LBC’s Chairmen should they have any difficulties.
Hon. Nii Amasah Namoale, Deputy Minister for Food And Agriculture in Charge of Fisheries, in his remarks, commended the fishermen for adhering to the Fisheries regulations and encouraged them to continue in that respect. “His word of advice to those who were adamant and contravening the regulations, to put a stop to it before the law catches up with them”.
One of the beneficiary Fishermen, Nana Efirimu IV, Chief Fisherman of Benstil, Shama, expressed their gratitude to government and assured government of their readiness to support any policy and incentive that would develop the sector.
Source: ISD (Frank Siaw-Otu, PRO-MOFA)