|National ID Card Distributing July 4|
|Saturday, 25 June 2011 07:36|
The National Identification Authority (NIA) will start distribution of the Ghana Cards (National Identification Cards) from Monday, Fourth of July, this year.
Speaking at a Press conference in Accra, the Executive Secretary of the NIA, Dr. William Ahadzie, noted that 80 per cent of the registration has been done successfully leaving 20 per cent unregistered, adding that new offices will be established in the region so that those who are not registered can do it now.
Dr. William Ahadzie said the Ghana card, which uniquely identifies the individual based on biometric features, can be used by the individual for the verification and authentication of identity in health delivery, passport acquisition, receipt of banking services, credit information, registration of business and job search among other things.
The Executive Secretary indicated that those who are eligible in receiving the card during the distribution exercise are persons fifteen years and above who registered during the mass registration exercise and those who turned fifteen years.
He said applicants are also required to bring along the collection slip or registration receipt given to them during registration and urged that persons who did not receive or have misplaced the registration slip issued during the mass registration would be required to present at least voters ID card or drivers license.
The Executive Secretary explained that this is to account for every single card that is given out.
He emphasised that it is a very important card with people’s information on it, which should not get into anybody else's hands. This requires demanding that they come in persons to confirm it themselves.
He explained that the information on the card distribution exercise detailing the procedure and requirements will be communicated to the public through radio announcements, information vans and letters to identifiable organisations like churches and mosques.
Source: ISD (Antoinette Mintah)